On Thursday morning, the 6th of August….Rich and I were sleeping off our jet lag, when someone came pounding on our door! It was 9am- time to pack our bags and leave this joint! You have to be ready to move at a moments notice- we had no idea when we were going to meet Mira! Nicholai, our driver/translator, took us to Priluki which is two hours away from Kiev.
The drive was interesting. Ukraine has beautiful countryside- no high-rise buildings, no road construction (not really any decent roads either), lots of green trees and fields. We passed sunflower field after sunflower field. Beautiful!!! The flowers are harvested for sunflower oil and seeds as well as the flower. The people of Ukraine LOVE flowers!

We stopped at a sort of “rest stop” for coffee. Nicholai brought me out this cute little cup of “kaffe.” Not at all like a big StarBucks, eh?

Rich and I laughed at the outhouse behind the rest stop. We think WC must stand for water closet. These signs are seen quite often on restrooms. You won’t catch me using one of these!!!

Interesting. Every man…or cow…for himself over here. And really, that is true. I hold on tight when I’m in a car over here- it’s insane. Very few traffic lights or painted stripes on the roads. No idea of the traffic rules, it seems like everyone just fends for themselves in order to get to where they want to go. SCARY!!!! Swerving all over the road to miss the potholes, creating a third lane of traffic just so your car can squeeze through, parking on sidewalks….
Once we got to Priluki, we headed straight to the orphanage after picking up the regional Inspector (minister of the Rights of Children). It is a really nice place- I’ll have more photos to show you later. We met with the Director (whose name is Lidia) and the chief medical officer of the orphanage. They are very nice ladies. All the workers in contact with the children are women. We have seen a few handymen around the place, though. We were able to explain why we have a heart for special-needs children and they just loved hearing about Lauren and seeing our family photo album. We are the first family to EVER adopt a special-needs child from this town but there are a couple of families right behind us!!! Reeces Rainbow is going to make such an impact on this place! It really is a wonderful town and the we have been very impressed with the orphanage.
We were able to meet Mira for the first time that morning, for just a bit. She was very scared, since there were quite a few people on the room- two of them being men (Rich and Nicholai). She’s a tiny little doll!! Very fine pale blond hair and big light blue eyes. Sweet natured, with a streak of fun!
Here are some photos I took of Mira and Rich the day after we first met her:

After the initial meeting, we headed to the only hotel in town. It’s nice and we feel safe there. There is a restaurant downstairs that seems to cater to all the parties on town, so we have only been able to eat there once. But we’ve managed to find a few other good eats around here- I’ll post those later!!!I need to take photos of the hotel and some of the street vendors- y’all would enjoy seeing those! Life is so different here, but nice. People take the time to socialize, no one is in a hurry- yet everything necessary gets done. Hmmm….we Americans could learn from that.


Oh dear, how I just love the way Mira smiles at Rich on that photo! What a sweet little girl she is! Congratulations both to her and to you for having found each other! Thanks for sharing photos of her with us!
ReplyDeleteWC is water closet, yes. At least that's what it is here, you would see that abbreviation in Sweden too - though the facility itself would look a bit different than in Ukraine :-)
Kaffe is how coffee is spelled in Sweden too - are you sure you are not here :-) ?
I'm truly happy to hear how positive you sound and how you seem to have a pleasant time while adopting Mira. I'll continue praying for a continued smooth and happy process!
Lydia,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear things are going well there. Mira is just such a sweet little doll baby!!! I'm sure I'll still be here when you come back through this way, so hopefully I'll get to meet her.
Good luck with court tomorrow! We will be praying for you. We should find out this afternoon when our date is - Nina is meeting with the judge. It has been hard seeing everyone that got here at the same time as us or after already having court, but we are so excited for all of the families and children. We know our time will come and we knew to expect things to take longer here.
I will be in touch!
Jaime
She is so so cute! and what a tiny muffin! I am so one of those people that would avoid the "water closet" but I always have to pee! By the time I am old enough to adopt I better get over that!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are able to enjoy the time you have there. Sounds like things are going well. I am glad you two get to have time together before all the hustle and bustle of getting Mira settled and taken care of back home! Keep updating; it is so much fun to hear of your adventures and to know what to pray for!
ReplyDeleteLOVE LOVE LOVE your updates with pictures!!! Ukraine sounds simply wonderful.. Caleb and I would love that pace of life! How was the coffee? Oh and by the way...Mira was made for your family!
ReplyDeleteLydia, you do such a good job of "showing" us Ukraine by your words.So much reminds me of Senegal (which you have probably forgotten) - slower pace of life, open air markets,cows & goats on the road, bumpy roads and wild driving.We are praying! Love, Mama
ReplyDeleteOHMY! It is SUCH a good thing you got there first or I might have snatched up that little peanut! she is SO TINY!!! absolutely ADORABLE! Is my Sophie Small for almost 4? I cant wait to see her and Ben. I am so thankful for all your posts and letters. and the pictures too!! I can hardley wait to go!
ReplyDeleteps. We were in a bigger city in Russia(and in Moscow) and man driving was SCARY there. so I guess its no different where we are going. Except we wont have to stop for president putins cavalcade like we did in Moscow lol. we always said the lines are just suggestions, thats what it seems like. oh ps I love the wayside rest area and the WC(yes I bet thats water closet, thats what it is in germany)
ReplyDeleteI love reading about your "adventures". Glad things are going well! We miss you!
ReplyDeleteYea for pictures! Glad to hear that things are going well. Will keep the prayers going!
ReplyDeleteMiss Mira is so sweet!!!!! I love reading the updates, they are part of my lunch routine. Mira is adorable & I think she will fit in very well with your kiddos.
ReplyDeleteANIMALS!!!! in the street!!?!? There's a lot of cows! I saw the two on the other side of the street. Did you milk any of the cows?...Lauren
ReplyDeleteShe is a little bitty cute thing isn't she???!!! Sounds like you are having a great experience! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteUm...can it really be a water closet if there isn't any running water?
ReplyDeleteShe is adorable with a capital A! What a cutie!
ReplyDeleteI'm loving your updates!
Kristin
I love your update - I can just hear you telling us all about the Ukraine and the joy that I hear in your voice...my favorite picture (other than ones of Mira) is the coffee cup...
ReplyDeleteKeep having fun and enjoy the time there, life will never be the same at home with 5 kids :)
We love you and are praying for you!
She is definitely a cutie-pie! I am so happy for all of you :) The coffe cup was awesome, but I think I would need about FIVE of those. And the car rides sound crazy but I can't wait for my turn!!
ReplyDeleteYay! I love my new niece already. She looks JUST LIKE GRANDMOMMY!! (as in our grandmommy, not hers)
ReplyDeleteWe all prayed for you today.. anxious to hear how court went!
ReplyDeleteAwww...such a cute picture!!
ReplyDeleteAnother great update - loving all of your details!