Monday, August 10, 2009

Catching Up

Hello all our readers! We’re gonna backtrack a bit and catch you up-to-date on our trip starting at when we landed in Ukraine at 9:30ish Tuesday morning, August 4. We landed in Kiev safe, sound, and just a little bit tired. Our driver/translator Nicholai took us to our apartment and then dropped us off at TGIFridays to meet three other adoptive families; The Hosfords adopting Victoria from Kiev, Paula (I‘ve forgotten her last name-AUGHH)adopting Bella in Kiev, and the Haires adopting Anastasia and Sophia. Here we are looking pretty American in an American restaurant. Thanks for lunch, Paula!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Shopping in Ukraine is very different and something to get used to! Rich and I have enjoyed it, but it makes us appreciate our grocery stores in the U.S. so much more. There are very few self-serve shops, you have to go to the counter that stocks your particular item and ask that particular sales clerk for what you want and pay them before moving to the next counter.
Produce is not sold in store except in the larger cities, I think. We have been buying produce in open air markets or covered markets JUST for produce. Here, Rich stocks up on plums and bananas to get us through our two day stay in Kiev. There is one really nice store in Kiev that we visited that has everything, but still not comparable to Lowes Foods:)

We had a very nice apartment in Kiev for only $60 a night! It was within walking distance to everything we wanted, including the SDA. One bedroom, bathroom, eat-in kitchen, and living room. Very nice. We even had a balcony overlooking the cul-de-sac we were in. Our door was guarded daily by our babushka landlady. She scolded us one night when we were late returning and showed us how to let ourselves in.

Here is the very lovely church across from the SDA- state department of adoptions. We have seen many ornate churches like this- beautiful! Ukraine has lots of lovely old buildings.

Our meeting at the SDA was at 11am the morning of the 5th. We explained to the social worker why we wanted to adopt a special needs child. She was really touched when we showed her our photo album and told her that we already had a daughter with Spina Bifida. She thanked us sweetly for being willing to give a Ukrainian child with needs a good home. We accepted the referral for Miraslava at this time and were told to come back in the afternoon for our letter allowing us to get into the orphanage.

We were fortunate enough to meet the Tubbs family while waiting for our SDA appointment- they are adopting Sergey from an institution. We can’t wait to hear the rest of their story!
Rich and I decided to try a buffet restaurant of traditional Ukrainian food so we could point to what we wanted. Mmmm,mmm,good!!!! Bortsch, meat and potato pierogies smothered in sour cream, and some kind of meatballs in sauce. I love the food here and you’ll get to see much more of it in later posts. I did get sick once-but that’s another story.

Our apartment was not far from Independence Square- a really nice part of town, very modern

When we returned to the SDA that afternoon at 4pm, we were able to meet the Taborn family, adopting Simon. They were planning to leave right after their appointment on the train. We wish them he best of times with their new little boy!
For dinner, we met Christine Reed, her daughter Julia, and her newly adopted son, Alex. It was a wonderful meeting- we have been praying for Alex since we first saw him on Reece’s Rainbow in December! Alex has Spina Bifida like our Lauren and our Mira Kathryn. We had lots of info to share with Christine concerning spina bifida. We can’t wait to see how Alex grows and develops! We ate at McDonald’s for dinner. Big Macs are universal :)

Looking forward to letting you know all about our adventures in Priluki, Mira’s town! If you want to email us, you can- at Ukraine@strongsignals.net

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful update with photos and all! I'm so happy I get to "follow along" on your journey!

    How fun for you to meet so many other adopting parents! I've been following the Reed's blog too and their family is amazing! I read some of the other's blogs too, but not all since some are private.

    I wish you all the best and I hope for a smooth process for you! Looking forward to photos of Mira! You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update and pics! We look forward to more and are excited for you all! I knew you wouldn't have too much trouble getting around, eating and such-a great adventure and story to tell Mira and kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update.. sounds like you guys have had a wonderful and adventurous beginning! I am thrilled that you all got to meet many other families on this same journey, what a blessing! Looking forward to hearing all about Priluki! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great update, Lydia with photos. We can't wait to talk with you on Friday! Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an interesting journey so far. Can't wait to see pictures of your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia,

    It was great to meet you and Rich in Kiev! Congratulations on Mira! I will be following your journey and praying for you....

    Paula "Bella's Mama" (you are welcome, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love the update! Thanks so much! It's great to see your pictures and to hear all about your experiences!

    Love ya,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOunds like it is beginning to be a better trip - I am so glad that youa re getting to enjoy some of the things around you and learning about the area that Mira is from. We can not wait for all 3 of you to be home so that we can hear all the stories in person.

    We are praying for you and sending all of our love to you! Stay safe and continue with the wonderful journal of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hearing all the details about your trip - thanks for bringing us all along with you!! I am amazed that you've been able to hook up with so many other families - what a great thing.

    Continued prayers and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete