Sunday, August 23, 2009

More info

Even though Rich and I are making a monetary donation to the orphanage, we wanted to buy something special just for Mira's group. We asked what they would most want or need and were told that they wanted a carpet for the nursery and that a big need was diapers. The rug they wanted was about 3 meters by 5 meters (figure that out using the U.S. measurement system). We found one that we liked for a VERY good price!! 1/10 what it would cost in the USA!

Mira's group play room. The white tables are where they eat their meals. The white door at the far end leads to their bathroom. The giant crib is for the severe special needs kids to lay in while the higher functioning children play.

Every child has a locker for the day's clothing.

Mira spends quality time with Daddy.



The day before Rich left, we took the time to tour the inside of a very beautiful Orthodox church. It was quite lovely, very ornate- lots of gold! No photos allowed, though. I wore my head covering so I could get in:) We also walked over to this statue of someone near the churches.




Cake is a huge deal here. My kinda country:) The cakes are small and they aren't very moist, but the layers are frosted with mousse and whipped toppings that are so yummy. And they are all packaged in cute boxes like this:

Ice cream here comes in a bag! It is SO good!!! (Especially with bananas)

My new friend, Anne, who is a missionary in Kiev, picked Jacqueline up from the airport and they made the 2 plus hours trek to Priluki with Anne's two little girls. Thanks Anne!!

Jacqueline and I are having fun! Today is Independence day here, so I'll show you photos of that later. Tomorrow, we head to the region's capital to start paperwork for Mira's passport and to pick up her new birth certificate! Please pray that Mira's passport comes in by Friday!!!! This is a must, since we need to leave this region Monday morning to head to Kiev.

9 comments:

  1. We are praying! We can't wait to see you all. Enjoy your last few days there as you experience another culture. We are especially praying for Mira as she will be experiencing so many new and strange things just on getting her here to the States. Love, mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. hoping all goes according to plan. SOOOOO nervous and excited to go there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping everything goes according to plan and I hope for a really smooth process! Continue enjoying yourself - soak everything in so that you can tell Mira later on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO good to see you!!!! We miss you! It is always good to get an update!

    That Mira is a doll! Can't wait to meet her :) Say hi to Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continuing to pray for safe travels. The rug is beautiful. How truly blessed you all are by this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great (and giant) rug! I just love the pics of Mira with her Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful picures of the orphanage! The rug is so beautiful - what a wonderful idea to ask them what they wanted - how thoughtful, Lydia and Rich!
    Coming home soon!!!
    Love, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you! I agree, great pics. As far as alot of pics of orphanages I have seen, this one seems to be a very nice one! The rug makes the room seem friendlier and brighter! Good choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad it worked out with Anne! God is SOOO good!!
    Lots of love to all three of you! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete